Thursday, February 17, 2011

Little Victories

Today I got sick - sore throat, aches and pains, congestion. But! I'm thankful that we're coming up on a weekend where I can recover. I'm thankful my workload tomorrow will be light, and I'm thankful that yesterday I wrote halfway through Chapter 28!

It's a good time to be sick when you feel a little accomplished. Good time to be sick? Did I really write that? Well, we all get sick sooner or later, and we can't choose when it will happen. I'm just glad this time it seems to have worked out for me.

Also, in my tips and encouragements for people who are also writing, I'd say don't discount every little step you make toward your goal. Christine Fonseca said it better in her entry at the Blood Red Pencil blog. It's a great blog for anyone who writes and likes to hob-nob with other writers. You might just find your next best friend in the commenters on there!

Sometimes I feel my writing is moving very slowly, that I haven't gotten enough done. Then I beat myself up over it and tell myself that tomorrow I will do better. That does me no good in the long run, and only makes me feel worse short-term. My story needs to breathe, and so do I. I can't spend every waking moment on it, even if I wanted to.

I work at a daycare/preschool, and when I come home I need to unwind. I can't launch directly into writing. However, some of the things that get me stirred up and inspired to write are reading the articles in Writers Digest - which is the best subscription I've ever had - and talking about my story with my family and friends. I get their input, I ask for suggestions, I tell them to go ahead and tell me if something sounds ridiculous or like it just won't work. I even have a small group of trusted test-subjects who I send my first drafts to to help me shake out the bugs. They also catch typos and other discrepancies that I don't.

This novel series is going to be a big project, and I am in it for the long haul, as I told someone recently. It's security in knowing what my goal is, it's comfort in being in a genre and a subject that I love and understand well, it's excitement that what I produce has the potential to turn into something great! I don't even consider other possibilities at this stage, because I'm so in love with what I'm doing. After it's gone through my agent, editor, and publisher, then we'll talk about where it's headed. Right now I just soak in the potential, and bask in the glow of creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...