Saturday, February 12, 2011

Writing Yourself Into Another World

Recently, my older sis and I were talking about the odd methods and techniques writers use to get inspired. I also read a few strange ones in Writers Digest (I think it was the January 2011 issue). For me, I get into the mood to write by talking about my story - to anyone, really. And it can be online, on the phone, or in person. Hearing myself, or seeing it in print, gets the ideas churning. Then, to keep the mood, I listen to mood music. The Lividia story requires haunting, childlike, beautiful, otherworldly music. So, I've been listening to Delerium and Nox Arcana.

Fallen is a great song by Delerium

Labyrinth of Dreams by Nox Arcana is beautiful and haunting.

as is Lullaby.

The only trouble about talking about a book with your friends that you want to publish is that you get eager to share spoilers. I have a horrible time with it! It's difficult to pick their brains for an idea when you have to be so vague telling them about your story.

You never hear from the friend's of authors such as J.K. Rowling or Stephenie Meyer to find out if they had a similar predicament. I, for one, am terribly curious how Ms. Rowling managed to not spill everything - especially if people asked her. And you know they had to.

If I don't publish soon, I'm going to have a hard time not blurting out spoilers about this first book. I hope I get better at it. I have a whole series to hold my tongue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...