Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pure Imagination - YA Roadtrip Wednesday Picks

"Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic." - YA Highway

So, for a handful of reasons - work, church, writers chatroom - I missed the entire day of Roadtrip Wednesday. Even though I missed Wednesday, I couldn't let this great topic pass me by. So, I wrote about it anyway!

This week's topic was: What non-YA character would you love to see star in a YA book as themselves? So, I thought awhile, read some of the other bloggers' picks, and found out that at least one of them had picked the same one as me!

The first I'd love to see in a YA novel as himself is:



The Doctor

I mean, he's already playful and childish in a lot of ways, sometimes bumbling, but he's also brilliant and brave. (And I've been watching a lot of him through Netflix lately.) I'd love to see what he was like BEFORE he was the last Timelord alive, and before all the bad happened to his race and his world. A teenage Doctor would be loads of fun to read. And, of course, it would have to be made into a movie so we could all admire whoever they got to play him!

Because my pick was also picked by someone else, my second pick is:

Willy Wonka

Not that I don't love Tim Burton's movie just as well, but I loved Gene Wilder's version of Wonka! He was an understated kind of spooky. He was charismatic where Depp's version was more eerie and socially awkward. With Wilder's version you were never sure if he was a harmless candy-maker or a psychopathic killer who hid his victims in his factory, selling them at Easter as oversized chocolate bunnies. He was playful and giddy, but could swing to sober and volatile in an instant. He was like a faerie mad-hatter. He even had the hat!

I realize the major reason I was so charmed by the original movie was that it was Wonderland inside a factory - and it was edible! All that was missing was Alice and a few rabbits. I even loved that the children who came to visit left (eventually) as edibles themselves, or almost. Perfect irony. The spoiled, gluttonous children who eat candy become the candy that is eaten. And Wonka was their judge, jury, and executioner.

Which is why a teen Wonka would be a thing to see, indeed. The second movie gave us a glimpse into his childhood, but what happened in between? If he was really the son of a tyrannical dentist, what happened when he left home? What inspired him to travel to where the Oompa-Loompas lived? What made him decide that candy could be an art form? And... most of all, what dark monsters lurk in that curly head of his?


If you think of a character you'd love to see as a teen or young adult, mention him or her in the comments. Or you can blog about how this character would act when he was young and link to your blog entry.

The song for my blog entry today is: Pure Imagination sung by Gene Wilder

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...