Monday, October 3, 2011

Cookie Cutter Covers





What do all these covers have in common?


















Have you noticed? They're all supernatural or paranormal YA, they're by different authors, yet the covers are virtually the same.

I've seen increasing numbers of YA book covers with begowned girls (the gowns either black, red, or white), in front of a line of misty trees with their back turned. What is the fascination with spooky ballgown book covers?

Check this out: This book hasn't even come out yet, and it's following the same trend. Girl in a gown, facing a row of misty trees, with her back turned. *cues Twilight Zone music*

I have nothing against the authors of these books. I'm glad that their books made it to shelves, and have a following. What I do have a problem with is the covers, and those who chose them.

Judging by their covers, these books are not aimed at a male audience. And these covers, while perfect for a female audience, probably wouldn't make a teenage boy pick up these books. So, already I know what the demographic for these books is. That's all well and good if there's a balance somewhere with male readers in mind. (If you find it, please let me know.)

As a reader, these cookie cutter covers make me lose interest. It's the "I've seen one, I've seen them all" mentality. And these authors deserve more than that. I realize it's a marketing strategy. One bestselling series with this type of cover leads to another and another, but when will it stop? This is one trend I wish would just Die For Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...