Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Person or Persons Unknown, Believed to be Armed



This week's topic:

What supporting character from a YA book would you most like to see star in their own novel?

I came up with absolutely nothing. I thought about it for hours. I looked at Goodreads, I considered two of the best series I've encountered so far - Harry Potter, and Tiffany Aching. There are so many characters in Harry Potter, such a vivid world, that I'd love to see more books come out of that world. I almost don't care who they'd be about.

My taste in YA is different. I don't like contemporary urban fantasy much. I don't like paranormal romance much at all. I don't really dig dystopian. I need beautiful, unique worlds to play in. I need to see magic at work, and mythological/fairytale creatures mucking about.

All I could think about after sifting through the blur of books I'd read, the lack of truly outstanding books... was feegles. Was wizards. Was magic. Was red and green and gold, popping and fizzing. Was little blue men trouncing armies with their heads, and swords bigger than they were.

So, here's my pick for a novel about a side character. Or in this case, an entire heap of side characters:

the Nac Mac Feegle
(they're better than ghosts and werewolves)

3 comments:

  1. I actually had some trouble with this prompt too, and I like what you came up with. For some reason I haven't read any Discworld novels, but those feegles make me want to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a novel with The Luggage as the MC? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian, the feegles are definitely worth it!

    Colin, or the cheese!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...