Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Roadtrip: A Whole New World

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic: What's your #1 reason for writing?

To make it short, I want to share.

To me, good writing communicates ideas and feelings well enough that people can experience them with you. It's basically bringing others into your cerebral space. Just for awhile, you share the same universe.

Have you ever seen what fans are like when they start talking about a book or a movie they love? They forget everything else. For a little while they share the same passions, joys, interests. Even if they argue, they're still part of the same club, and they belong, whether they differ or not.

I write to open up my head, dump out the denizens onto paper, and make people fall in love with them as much as I do. More than people knowing me, I want people to know them. I want them to know that world that I see, and to see it too. I want to create something new - a place where only I've been - and then take them there.

Magic carpet ride, anyone?

8 comments:

  1. This. Just... this. I would love to have people to talk endlessly about my stories with, people who love it just as much as I do. I mean, it's got to be the greatest feeling in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a great reason to write. Do you ever feel like your characters are real people? So much so, that when you start talking about them people give you the side eye? It's so great to be able to share, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. J. K. Rowling has said on many occasions that one of the things she loves doing most--aside from writing--is getting out and meeting her readers. I think we understand what she means. Hearing people talking about your world, your characters, what they loved, what they didn't like, and talking about that with them--wow, that must be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Francesca - Just hearing the people who've read my novel (pre-publication) talk about it and the chars gives me a thrill. I could talk endlessly about this stuff too. It's like a natural high!

    Jaime - Yes! They exist in my head but I'd like nothing more than to let them out so they could have real bodies and real lives of their own. Maybe then they would stop bugging me so much!

    Colin - That would be the ultimate fun for a published author, I think. Not to mention there are now theme parks and massive merchandising for her books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there, nice to meet you!
    Oh, I love your answer!
    And the "whole new world" song of Aladdin is perfect! (super disney fan here!) lol
    Great answer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, totally. So far I've only experienced this with beta-readers, but it's so much fun when other people know your characters and can talk to you about them. So. Much. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I love this. :) It's true that nothing binds people together like a good story. Heck, our shared love for Lord of the Rings was one of the things that brought my hubby and I together. (Oh my goodness, we're such dorks).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juliana - Nice to meet you too! Thanks! I'm a Disney fan too. I couldn't NOT be with all the Disney movies the kids watched when I taught preschool!

    Crystal - It IS a lot of fun, but I've only had it with beta readers myself. So far. Here's to having a fanbase wider than beta readers!

    Sarah - Thanks! That's such a sweet story. I know other couples that got together over a fandom they both loved. I bet Tolkien would've loved to have known about you two.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...