Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Boogey Boogey! Who's your favorite YA monster?

This is my first I Heart YA bloghop post! Yay! I really like Suze Reese's idea for a bloghop, and I hope it gets lots of attention. (Hint hint - go give her bloghop attention!)

The topic this week is: Who's your Freak?
(Which means, which paranormal creature in YA is your favorite.)

With all the vampires, werewolves, witches, ghouls, zombies and whatnot that have overrun YA in the past handful of years, you knew this question was coming. So, what 'team' are you on? The decaying undead, the sparkling undead, the hairy beasts or the cackling magicals? OR, you could even come up with your own! Does your book have some new supernatural creature that plans to make a splash in the YA market?

I have a confession... mine does. With Twilight and others like it sucking the popularity out of the vampire market (horrible pun fully intended), agents aren't as keen to sink their teeth into YA vampire novels as they used to be. Werewolves broke out with Shiver and are still pretty popular, but again, agents are divided on the hairy beast issue. I think YA's ready for a new kind of creature.

And that creature is Boogeymen! Or Boogeyman, as the case may be. In my YA novel series, I put a new spin on the old classic nursery tale of the Boogeyman. No longer is he just a nasty Bogey, jumping out of closets and snatching children from under the bed. Lividia's Boogey in my novel Lividia: A Shadow Story is gentle and mysterious, and fiercely loyal to his seventeen-year-old 'child' Lividia.

In my series, Boogeymen can transform into things, manipulate shadow, and travel through the Veil between the human world and the world of dreams (or the world of the fae). Boogeymen can dreamwalk, pass through any shadowy surface, and inspire their children to creativity. They also guard them from anything that tries to harm them.

Did I mention adults can't see Boogeymen? Imagine having an invisible friend who can chase away nightmares, and get revenge on that horrible girl who always embarrasses you in front of the guy you like. It also doesn't hurt that Lividia's Boogeyman is rather cute himself.

Of course my story wouldn't be complete without a villain. And I couldn't resist tossing evil Boogeymen in there as well, so I created the most evil (and wickedly handsome) Boogeyman I could imagine. If you want to know more about him, I guess I'll have to get on querying some more, huh?

Do you have a favorite supernatural creature?

{Really cool item: That picture came from an announcement of Dreamworks' up-coming movie Me and My Shadow. Check out the article here.} If shadows are coming into their own in movies, something tells me my book is right on time.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! Boogeyman! Of course! Hadn't even thought of it - is exactly what you need to stay ahead of the curve. Good luck with the querying, and thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing I Heart YA too, and in my post this week I talked about how I'm into unique paranormal "freaks," so I LOVE the idea of a Boogeyman! I'm really interested in reading your book!! Good luck with the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I haven't seen boogeymen in, like, forever. I'm excited for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suze, Thanks! I look forward to seeing this blogfest grow.

    PidginPea, thanks! I'm excited to get to share my book with you sometime in the future! (hopefully soon) I'll have to check out your post too, and thanks for the follow.

    Yael, me either! That's why I really just had to write about them. Glad you're as excited as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so cool! I love hearing more and more bits about your book, and I'm looking forward to reading it!

    (Personally, I'm currently way too obsessed with Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell-type Sidhe. And Yogini. I like Yogini.)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...