Friday, January 20, 2012

My Deep Happy

technorati.com
Have you ever been in the middle of a task and thought all the while that you were doing it, "I love this. I want to do this for as long as I live. This satisfies me like nothing else can. When I do this, I feel productive and happy."  I felt like that today. I feel like that every time I illustrate - either digitally or with pen and ink. Writing is something I do for myself, but art I can do for anyone - me, you, that guy sitting next to you, the woman in the other room.

It's fun, it's creative, it's interesting, it's beautiful. It's one of the things that define me. I paddle out into it, sketching and exploring, and before I know it, I'm deep into hours of drawing and design. I emerge from it feeling alive, triumphant, productive, and wonderful. ...Also, pretty hungry. (did I mention I forget to eat when I'm working on a project?)

What activity makes you feel like this? And if you haven't found one yet, what activity do you desperately want to try?

5 comments:

  1. I get that feeling when I'm doing something that crosses over between what I feel like doing and what I should be doing.

    If I feel like doing art, and it has a purpose, then I am extremely content doing it. However, if I'm doing art but it's because I'm procrastinating doing something else, the experience is tainted by guilt.

    I often get a good feeling when I've finished a particularly involved piece of coding, but it's work and I find it hard to START. But once I get into the groove of it, I don't like to stop until it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that feeling when I write, but only sometimes. It's usually closer to the end of a scene, but sometimes it also happens when I'm planning. (Especially if things start coming together in a way that is just perfect!)

    It's rare, though, and it's usually gone by the nest time I open the document.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing :) I especially feel that way when my ideas for the plot and characters start to come together. Those "aha moments" make me so ridiculously happy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like that when I'm writing, blogging, and reading. It's heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emm, that's the situation I was in when I felt that way myself! (you're reading my mind!) I had a commission I had to work on and so I was doing art and yet it had a purpose - besides just adding to my portfolio.

    Yael, agreed. Planning can give me a good rush too. You get really excited to sometime write all that's in your head. But in order to do that, you have to first plan it.

    Susan, awesome. I love those moments too. They're like bliss and cookies! (needs to remember that one)

    Lydia, yes! It's so great to be in your own private heaven, doing what you like.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...