Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Dear Dream Agent

I love adventure stories with an offbeat, independent female protagonist who has good common sense. I love imaginative new worlds and world-changing events. I also love magic, monsters, fae (like the Tuatha De Danann from Celtic lore), ghosts, witches and innate special abilities. I love J.K. Rowling, Terry Pratchett, Frances Hardinge, and Neil Gaiman. I love nearly every kind of tea, and I'm beginning to think there isn't an asian country out there whose food I won't eat!

I can't wait to meet you. I hope that when I query you it will be love at first sight. I hope that you will love my story and its illustrations as much as I do. I hope that you will see how hard I worked to reach out to you, to get my novel in the best shape. I hope that you will understand my insanity and my perfectionism - because I rewrite my query every time I send it out, which I think is just a little bit crazy. I always think I can make it better. Always. I hope that tells you something about me. ... Perhaps that I should have my word-processing privileges revoked.

I hope my query is exactly what you're looking for. I know you won't turn me away if it isn't perfect. It's the story you're interested in. You're looking for one that's magical and shadowy, one that's interesting and a little mysterious. One that makes you chuckle a little in places. One that's set in a long-past time period with gaslight ambiance. One with a curious, odd-looking female protagonist who has a penchant for invisible men in blue jackets. 

You believe, like I do, that illustrations aren't just for graphic novels and children's books. When I show you mine, you'll love them. You'll promise to help me find a publisher who believes in both my talents - writing and illustration. You'll have me sign a contract for a series - which I've already begun to write. We'll land a wonderful deal with a big publisher, and we'll live happily ever after.

At least, that's what I hope will happen. Until then, I'll keep querying, praying, and looking for you. Because I know you're out there, and I know you're looking for me too.

2 comments:

  1. I sent out a query last night and was sent the form rejection letter this morning. That's some turn-around time! I sent two more out today. I hope you get that request you want, cause I want one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find him or here and that you live happily ever after writing and illustrating into realms currently unknown.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...