Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I Heart YA: Debut Authors of 2011 Spotlight


Today's I Heart YA prompt is

Which 2011 debut author do you think deserves a spotlight?

There are a lot of books published last year that I still want to get my hands on. But the two I would have to spotlight are:


The Night Circus 
by Erin Morgenstern



and


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs


 
I haven't finished reading The Night Circus and I'm already thinking it'll make a great movie. I'm hoping the story will fulfill all my expectations of it, though. This book seems written with a movie in mind. It's non-linear and full of characters that would be stronger in movie format than a novel. Plus, the plot - a game between two powerful illusionists using their young wards as players under the tents of a spectacular dreamlike circus - just screams film. In addition, there's a love story. So, there you go.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is inventive and impressive. The story is built around a collection of authentic old photographs that the author owns himself or has borrowed for the novel. It's a novel about exactly what the title says, told from the first-person perspective of a teenage boy who finds out he's more peculiar than he realized. Set this in two time periods - present day and WWII Europe - and you have a pretty epic situation. There are also monsters. Real monsters that eat you if you encounter them.

All I can say is, I hope this has a sequel.

So, there are my two debut authors for 2011. I'm curious to see what everyone else picks.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness those sound incredible! I think I'm buying the Peculiar Children book today! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that second one sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did Miss Peregrine's for my debut pick too!! Ahh, it was so good. :)

    I have Night Circus on my to-read list but I keep hearing amazing things about it, so I think I'm going to have to move it to the top of the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading those two right now. And the ending of Night Circus is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read either of these two books. And I'm wondering which books I've read that were 2011 debuts. I know of one, Tangled Tides by Karen Amanda Hooper and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...