Wednesday, February 29, 2012

RTW: February Book Faves

This Roadtrip Wednesday is Leap Day, and we're spotlighting our favorite February reads! Like some, I had a hard time choosing just one, so I'll spotlight two for you.

If you read my blog, you've probably figured out by now that I'm a late-to-the-game, raving Terry Pratchett fan. Since I picked up my first Pratchett novel I couldn't get enough. That's why my first spotlight for February is Wyrd Sisters, from Pratchett's Discworld series. This book had me laugh out loud and snicker a few times. I also got another fascinating glimpse of the denizens of the Discworld. I knew I loved the witches from their first appearance.

(Three witches circle a cauldron. Eldritch cackling.) 
"When shall we three meet again?"
"Well, I can do next Tuesday."

A satire of Macbeth, with rambling, amusing sidenotes from the author? I'm all over that! Not to mention, the Discworld itself is enough to make you raise an eyebrow and go "Huh?" - a world almost like ours, only it's flat and carried on the back of three elephants, who stand upon a huge turtle, flying silently through space. Yep. If you're going to do fantasy, do it big.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My second spotlight for February is the long-awaited sequel to Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge called Fly Trap. I already loved Mosca Mye, the black-eyed fly-child who has a goose for a guardian and a con-man for a companion. This book puts Mosca in even more turmoil and tight spots. The plot surrounds a town that is divided into the 'day folk' and the 'nightlings' - people whose names are either "good enough for daylight" or so awful that they're cast off into the darkness where their nefarious deeds can be done without harm to the pure and good day folk.

Names brand you in Mosca's world - particularly in Toll, the city with two faces. There are way too many people living in the precarious Toll, and way too much superstition, fear, and prejudice. I love how Hardinge tackles the subject of prejudice and how blind it can make people. I also love how heroic Mosca and her fellows become when faced with all this blindness and superstition.

Some reviewers might say Hardinge's writing style is a bit presumptuous, with big words and incredibly rich descriptions, but I love it. Her writing has texture. You can feel, see, and smell each city and situation.

Here is the bit where Mosca's 'bad' name forces her into Toll-by-Night. 

Night air had a smell too, Mosca decided, as she heard the distant music of approaching Jinglers. Night smelled the way Havoc's songs sounded. It smelled of steel and rushlights and the marsh welcoming a misstep and anger souring like old blood. 
...
Havoc pushed at the door, and it swung open upon a silver scene, the cobbles glittering with frost stars. Once again Toll-by-Night had burst out of its captivity, like a monstrous jack from an innocent-looking box. And this time, Mosca was a part of it.

------------------------------------

Now that you know mine, what are your favorite books of February?


5 comments:

  1. You've officially piqued my interest in both of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off I like the new page design. I haven't heard of those books but I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I read WYRD SISTERS, but I remember enjoying it. Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of want to read Toll By Night now. Definitely need to read more Pratchett, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you described her writing as having texture--sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...