Friday, March 23, 2012

Funny but True Query Story

First off, I have to confess that I have a lot of blog-reading to catch up on. There was a Roadtrip Wednesday I neglected horribly, not to mention my own blogroll. But, I've been editing this week and other things. I guess I could blame that.

For your reading pleasure I've decided to share a funny and current query story. I'll leave out names to prevent any embarrassment from the queried parties who screwed up in this situation. The queriers (all 200+ of us) are having a bit of a giggle though.

I queried a BIG agency last month and just recently got a reply. The first reply was blank. The second said something like "we're sorry we can't offer representation" which I was surprised to read since I'd only just sent a query! A minute or so after that email came one that simply said "disregard the previous email". So I chuckled and shook my head and thought "oh somebody has their wires crossed over there". I didn't think anything about it... until.

I received an email not to long after that one that began "Dear 1 of __ authors I have to mail a standard reply to". (I am not kidding!) It went on to become a form rejection, but there was yet another surprise in store for me. The email included 200+ addresses of other queriers, so every time they replied to it, it swung back around to me again (bcc vs cc I believe).

Now myself and all the other queriers have our very own chat going via email all based on a bit of a flub in the emailing process. I got a pretty good kick out of the rejection email, so I'm not angry at the agency, since it proves they're human too, but it is a little inconvenient to be caught in a neverending loop of emails.

Please query (and email) responsibly.

EDIT: Diana at the Write Catch posted her own version of this email debacle, including the exact wording of the email we received and a few funny tidbits gleaned from our chatting back and forth via email. Definitely worth checking out! 

5 comments:

  1. Awesome. Here's the link to the picture if you want it:

    http://lanceschaubert.org/2012/03/23/rejection-letter-fail/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a mixture of discomfort and hilarious. Did you end up making any new writing friends from the process? Bonded by...queries. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that on a writers' forum too. Big whoops. I wonder if more people are amused by it or angry that their names went out with so many others. I recently queried that agency, different agent though--luckily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm one of them, too.

    I want the Today show to book all of us - in an auditorium.

    haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lancelot.

    Yep, Rachel. There's even a facebook group!

    Suzi, I think that was one of us who posted it! Absolute Write forums. I'm on that one too.

    Lol, Diane! Sure way to getting other agents to sign us, right?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...