Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I Heart YA: How You Turn My World

Every Tuesday is the I Heart YA bloghop hosted by Suze Reese. This week's prompt is all about our heartthrobs - those handsome, charming devils (or angels) who steal our hearts without even saying please. And we like it!

Of course the first that came to mind was Jareth the Goblin King!

He sings, he dances, he juggles crystal balls, he rules a kingdom of goblins, he dresses snazzy, and he even cuts his own hair! (Seriously, look at it.)

I had a hard time knowing which to pay attention to - his sexy menacing wiles, or his ever-changing wardrobe. They get more elaborate as the movie goes along. Not to mention, the owl robe is soft and fluffy!

As far as how Labyrinth relates to YA: The female protagonist is a spoiled teenage girl who doesn't want to grow up. A supernatural guy romances a girl before Twilight is even a spark in Stephenie Meyer's synapses. Jareth sparkles more than any vampire ever could, and so did half the scenery in the movie - gotta love 80s fantasy sets! Last but not least, the leading man is played by a British pop idol.

When it comes to heartthrobs in YA novels, I like sympathetic, flawed guys with a nugget of good in their hearts. The prouder the peacock, the bigger the fault he should have, and the more we should see him change in the book. I always look for that hook that keeps me interested, that weakness that makes him need, hope, and strive.

Another type I like is the strong, silent guardian type. This type has a patchwork past and a deep motivation - such as making up for a wrong he committed. This is why I like Niall from Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely. Though her head-hopping drives me completely crazy in the book, I found myself drawn to this supporting character with his 'dubious past', his soft heart, and his jagged face scar. He plays the roll of a rogue knight, protective, loyal, but still following his own rules. He reminded me of a combination of two of my own characters, both of whom have a hard time reconciling their true natures with their moral values.

The last type I want to mention is the green, sweet boyish type. This type has abundant potential, a heart of gold, but doesn't know exactly what he's doing. He needs to be taught - probably by the somewhat wiser female MC. This is Peeta from The Hunger Games, who I like even if he's named after bread. The love triangle does get on my nerves - mostly when it overshadows the main plot. I don't like love triangles. I prefer my female MC to be decisive and know her own heart a little better than that. I don't mind if a third party admires her without her returning the feelings. That isn't the same thing, right?

So, what about you? Who's your heartthrob?

(Points to you if you know any of these cute anime guys. Extra if you know how they relate to the type they're pictured beside.)

7 comments:

  1. OMG I never drew the connection between Pita and Peeta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but I really liked Mic on Crocodile Dundee. Maybe it was the manly, beast conquering with an accent thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, even if they're spelled differently, I always seemed to read his name "pita" - especially after she said he worked at a bakery.

    Rachel. Me too! Plus he's got a great accent! (and really, I loved his big knife. I want one.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You have given this heartthrob business a lot of thought! =) Wish I could score some of those points but I must just bow to your awesomeness on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohoh, I adore Fay and Kurogane! (I ship them too.) And I loved all the reveals of their tortured pasts, and how they still defended each other and sacrificed for each other. Jeez, if there were guys like them in YA novels, I might have an answer for this one.

    I'm not sure if I would call Howl green and boyish, but I see what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suze, thanks! You posted a really compelling prompt today!

    Cara, I guess a lot of anime guys look alike. The blonde and brunette are Tamaki and Mori from Ouran High School Host Club. It makes me pretty curious about the ones you mentioned, though!

    Also, if there were guys in YA like there are in anime, I'd have a TON more to mention in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh...that photo of David Bowie just took me back! That was and still IS one of my favorite movies. I thought he was SO COOL.

    I still pop in the DVD and watch it from time to time and hubs ALWAYS makes fun of me.

    *Dance, magic Dance*

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...