Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Insecure Writers Roadtrip: Naming Your Life

This post is a combo post for Insecure Writers Support Group and YA Highway's Roadtrip Wednesday. 

RTW's prompt for today is: Name this Life. What would your memoir be called? 

I haven't thought about writing a memoir, but if I did it'd be full of fiction, family, and frivolity (try saying that three times fast). It would also be about the many different faces and hats I've worn and still wear, how much I divide myself between careers and pursuits. (If you've ever done any kind of roleplay gaming, you'll know about putting on faces.) Eventually I have to pull myself back together and declutter my head.

I decided to choose a song I discovered in high school for this post. It's on the Pure Moods album. It speaks volumes to me about finding a balance when I have too many directions to go in. It also speaks to me about returning to myself after life and creative pursuits have stripped me down.



I get caught up in what I should be doing, what other people have accomplished that I haven't, and what I should've known sooner so that I could've done it. I'm a perfectionist, and always feel like I'm somehow behind the rest of the world. When I'm hard on myself it's nice to remember the things I have done and who I am. I still have time to be what I want to be and do what I want to do - to publish, to illustrate, to make a name for myself. I don't have to rush or feel pressured. It's not the accomplishments that make me worth something.

I would title my life Return to Myself.

3 comments:

  1. Great piece of music and a great title!

    I'm not sure I have this song on iTunes, because my parents have it on LP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good title for a memoir, especially considering the goal of not always looking to what others have. I'm sooooo guilty of that. I'm always looking ahead to when I have something better, looking at others wishing I had what they had, and not looking around me and what I'm lucky to have. It's exhausting, really. Here's to being happy where we are (but not complacent), and with who we are (but willing to change). :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I could have a chapter in my book titled Return to Myself, haha It's a good title for a memoir. Sometimes it's hard to define just who you are, and part of that stems from the "faces" we wear. All we can do is simply keep on keeping on and boomerang back to who we are.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...