Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Night Circus - Do Not Read After Midnight!

Okay so... I get online today and discover that my work is late, I have emails waiting, and the morning has already moved into afternoon whether I was ready or not. Just because I stayed up late finishing The Night Circus doesn't mean that the day will stop (or wait) for me.

So, in response to this week's Roadtrip Wednesday prompt: The Best Book of the Month, I can finally say The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It was tough. I also read Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett this month.

You already know how much I love Terry Pratchett, and Witches Abroad trumps nearly every book pitted against it - unless it's another one of Pratchett's, but The Night Circus is a sparkling dark gem of a book. So it gets the spotlight. I'm sure Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg (and even Magrat) wouldn't mind.

First off, The Night Circus has a black, white and gray theme, which I love. It's also a circus. It's also an elaborate game between the students of two very powerful magicians. It's also a romance - a slow-building, authentic romance. All of these things are made of win.

The imagery in this book is to die for. The characters in this book break your heart. You leave this book feeling wistful and affected and slightly melancholy, wishing that the Dream Circus was a real place you could visit yourself.

I read this book on recommendations from other readers and with the desire to support a debut author. Erin Morgenstern did a wonderful job. The only remark I would make is that the book is so heavy, so serious and so drawing, like a deep pool of perfectly black water. It would've been nice to have a character or an event to lift the weight a little. As the book progresses you feel it more and more, dragging at the characters, dragging at the reader. You feel as bonded to the circus as all the characters in it.

And poor Chandresh! I love Chandresh. He's just a man who had a dream of a wonderful circus, who couldn't help being seduced by the flickering lights of his own dream. Then he realized it had been someone else's dream all along; all he did was share it. But in the end he didn't mind.

All I know is, if this book were made into a movie - or perhaps two or three movies - I would be there with my red scarf and chocolate mice. My appreciation for an author who can create a world like this goes without saying, since I'm a world-builder myself. But Ms. Morgenstern fashioned something out of stars, a drop of magic, and a band of devoted dreamers that pulls together so many elements I love. I take my hat off to you, lady!


6 comments:

  1. Excellent description of what sounds like a love book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I loved this book too! And the film rights have been sold so hopefully we will all get to go to the movies with our red scarves soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked THE NIGHT CIRCUS too. In fact I reviewed it a while ago on my blog (last month maybe?). Gorgeous writing. I recall WITCHES ABROAD was entertaining, though it's been a while since I read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great read! The title is definitely catching! I will make sure to put this on my TBR list. You can check out my RTW at agreatescapebookblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great book. I've heard wonderful things about it. And that cover! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Terry Prachett, but hadn't heard of Witches Abroad. I'll have to read it (can't go wrong with Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax!!)

    The Night Circus has been on my TBR list for way way too long. I definitely need to bump it up to the top!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...