Thursday, March 15, 2012

Why do you Blog?

I'm still pretty new to the blogosphere. I've only been blogging regularly since last Summer or Fall, but even then it didn't pick up until I did bloghops and got myself involved. I felt like I was writing in a bottle and no one was reading it. When I got more involved that began to change.

My mother asked why I blog if I don't have a release date to broadcast, if I don't have an agent, if I don't have anything 'big' to talk about. I'm still learning why myself. All I know is, when I ask that question in writer chatrooms, the consensus is "you blog so people get to know you, and they'll be more inclined to buy your book later". I think it's more than that, though.

Blogging to build a readership so you can make more money feels like such a hollow thing. Blogging, to me, is a way to reach out and connect with people. Sure, maybe someday they'll become your readers, but right now they can be a supportive community. They can offer advice when you need it, and leave comments so you don't feel alone in your endeavors. It's also an exercise in what sells and what doesn't, if you think about it. If a post has no comments, you wonder what you said in it to discourage them (like my last post about publishing being 'hell' must've put everyone on the run, and I don't know why). Publishing is Hell! For everyone involved - be they publishers, editors, or just the lowly writers trying to make it through the front door. It's hard to tell what people are going to like. And it's the same with blogs.

So, marketing aside, why do you blog? Do you do it to reach out to fellow writers, to share what you know, or perhaps to learn a little more yourself? Do you focus on or avoid certain topics to grow your readership?


12 comments:

  1. For me, it's an extension of writing. It's a way to discuss the theory and actual act of writing rather than the creative work itself :)

    And connecting to others is really awesome ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD QUESTION.

    I started blogging for accountability - every day, I'd post my word count. Then, I started to make observations on things I was learning about writing. When I started editing and querying, and stopped adding words every day, the posts became more spaced out. But I had followers, and I knew you're supposed to have a regular schedule, so now I'm doing the M-W-F thing.

    Even now that I have a more established schedule, though, I still use it for accountability. I've gotten in the habit of posting a snippet every Friday, and that motivates me to do actual work on the WiP every week.

    About a month ago, an agent emailed me saying he'd stopped by the blog. Now, I'm taking it super-seriously - trying to make sure it looks good, that it's a demonstration that I know how to use the internet to put on a good public persona and connect with people.

    So, yeah. Lots of reasons. All selfish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to blog because so many agents recommend that you have a web presence. When Casey at Literary Rambles wanted a blog partner, I jumped at thee chance. My main focus is to promote authors, mainly debut and middle grade, and books. That works really well for me.

    I'm kind of a newbie too. I've only been blogging for a little over a year. It's a learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fairly new too it too. I got into blogging mostly because agents recommend it, but I thought I'd like it too.

    I'm just lately able to develop more relationships as I learn how things go. I can see now how important it is to do bloghops and not only visit other blogs, but leave comments. I lurked for a long time. If someone comments on my blog, I'd definitely go check out theirs, and I think most do that.

    There are so many to keep track of and I'm glad I figured out Google Reader to keep it all organized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think blogging fulfills a number of needs in the writer's life. First, it's writing. Even if it's not fiction (though it could be if you want), you still have to think of the right words, how to spell them, how to use them in a grammatically correct fashion, and how to make the whole thing enticing to read. Essentially the same disciplines we use for our fiction. Then there's the whole social interaction, learning to build an audience, learning how to self-promote without feeling dirty about it, sharing insights gained in life and from others, etc.

    Why do I blog. All of the above. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Tyler-Rose and I started purely because we know it's a good marketing tool to build. As time has gone on, however, I have continued becuase it's fun, helpful, and inspiring to interact with other writers. We learn from each other and support each other. Most writers couldn't achieve this kind of community without blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me it's about connecting to other people, especially writers like me.
    It's about community.
    Though, I still struggle with what to blog about ...
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I've been thinking about this. I tell people about my blog and my family are the worst offenders they ask why? What could you have to talk about you? My response is usually an eye roll and a 'thanks for the support' but I agree with you. I wanted to get to know people and see what they think, find support in different things, learn, and have fun. Share what I love to anyone who wants to take part.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blog because it's fun and a good way to learn and I get to meet interesting people like you, Dony!

    Zak - the blogger

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everyone's responses! And farawayeyes made me laugh!

    It's great to see all we have in common and can share.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...