Friday, May 11, 2012

Good Fridays: Sweet Sweet Indulgences

Good Fridays is a weekly spot about a good thing I did or discovered during the week. These are things I'm thankful for, and sometimes they're as simple as a trip to the grocery store.

cutestfood.com 
My Good Friday item today is candy.

I'm hypoglycemic - which means I have low blood sugar (not diabetic, though). It's manageable, but it can really screw up my moods and my body if I don't watch it. In high school I frequently felt ill in the mornings because of it. Back then I didn't know what it was. I just knew I would get faint and nauseated during the first period of class and I'd have to be sent home.

Most people's blood sugar is low when they first wake up, which is why breakfast is a really good idea. For me it's essential to have protein for breakfast. (Too many carbs are not good for hypoglycemia.) If I'm feeling shaky, I have juice first.

thecelluloidcoffin.blogspot.com 
Low blood sugar can mimic emotional disorders - specifically bipolar. I found this out when I started researching it. When I'm hungry, I drag around, get angry for no reason, cry easily, and blow simple problems out of proportion. After I've eaten, I'm energetic, talkative and confident. Things that got to me before don't have the same effect.

Close friends have witnessed this change when they sit with me at restaurants. It's a bit like Jekyll and Hyde. I get so giddy when my sugar goes up that I laugh and become an amazing conversationalist - not that I wasn't before, but it's like the light's been turned on in me.

This brings me to the topic of today's Good Fridays. Candy.

Having low blood sugar makes me crave carbs and sweet things. They aren't good for me, but as long as I eat healthy food alongside them I seem to do fine. Sometimes just one swedish fish will satisfy me, and other times I'll eat a handful of dark chocolate M&Ms. I go through trends where I'll favor one kind above another. (right now it's the swedish fish - and Twix.)

What I'm thankful for is that I still can eat candy. The doctor hasn't told me to give it up completely and I hope that never happens. I'll just keep piling on the veggies and the protein and getting as much exercise as I can.

What are you thankful for this Friday?

1 comment:

  1. *huuuugs* Don't you hate how your body can rebel against you. I have asthma and sometimes it's incrediblty frustrating.

    Today I am thankful for the sun! First time it hasn't rained since I came home from India ^^;;;

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...