Saturday, June 2, 2012

Do You Have a Creative Bucket List?

Well, you should! While I really dislike the connotation of 'bucket list' because I don't want to think about kicking the bucket anytime soon, it gets the point across. Most bucket lists involve huge life adventures or accomplishments that make living more fun for the person involved.

I've had a creative goal list since I was young enough to start dreaming big. And dream big I did. My family encouraged it. They pushed me to do whatever my young mind could dream up. I've actually accomplished a lot on my phantom list. The trouble is that life has slowed me down and when life slows me down and keeps me stationary I get depressed. I lose sight of my goals and start going in circles. Hopefully this list will help me get back on track and push forward even if I'm not physically going anywhere.

Just to let you know what I've already accomplished on my junior high/high school goal list, here it is:

- Finish a long story (it was a fanfic, but it still counts)
- Learn to drive (freeing, believe me)
- Get my own car (check, love my little Saturn!)
- Go to college (on scholarship!)
- Attend a great art school (graduate school. SCAD was amazing!)
- Become an artist (check, next step get regularly paid for it!)
- Visit Disneyworld (check, I worked there for three months)
- See Cirque Du Soleil perform live (check, while I was in Florida)
- Go to a live music concert (Need to do this one again)
- Go to a big anime/comic convention (Dragoncon in Atlanta, GA)
- Teach kids (preschool and now Sunday School, possibly college next?)

And now here's my creative bucket list: 

- Write a novel
- Illustrate it (still working on this)
- Write and illustrate my own book series
- Find a literary agent
- Find a publisher
- Get book series published
- Find an online creative outlet that reaches a lot of people like a webcomic or a blog (check!)
Some people have said I should try my hand at a webcomic too. I'm on the fence because I don't know if I'm that organized or disciplined yet.
- Win an art contest or get prize money for my work (high school, college and grad school)
- Learn how to play piano well (still learning)
- Learn a second language (tried Spanish, got distracted by Japanese, then Korean. I really need to commit to just one)
- Become a successful freelance illustrator
- Design characters for an animated movie or a videogame
- Illustrate book covers that get published
- Create fanvids for a show or movie I like (Doctor Who!)

I'll probably end up adding to this list, but for now there it is. I'd love to do a list like this for other areas of my life too. If you would, here's a blog on how to create a useful bucket list.

So, do you have a creative bucket list?




5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I'm pretty busy right now, but it would be cool to put together a bunch of long-term goals like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the moment? Finish a novel. There's other stuff I'd like to do, but that's the one at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... finding an agent has to be top of mine... but followed very closely by "prove I have a lot of ideas and don't just have one story to tell" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of a creative To-Do list! I'm definitely going to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad everyone likes this idea. Let me know when you achieve your top goal!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...