Monday, July 23, 2012

Shelf Envy

My new job is about to make my brain explode. And I'll tell you why.

Working with books all day, shelving YA novels, watching people check out YA novels and hearing people asking for recommendations of YA novels, I'm sometimes at my wit's end. I want to see my novel on those shelves, hear my novel in topics of conversation, but I'm still in the query trenches.

It's like asking a person on a diet to give you the best recipe for bbq ribs. Or even more appropriate, it's like asking a woman who's desperate to have children what she thinks of your beautiful baby girl - and then asking her to hold the baby while you go to the bathroom.

Anyone who's ever wanted something very badly has probably been through this - especially when they're reminded of that something they want every day.

I love my new job. I love it like a kid would love working in a candy store. I just feel my creative clock ticking. So, I'm curious. Has anyone else ever felt like this? What do you do to ease the discomfort of 'shelf envy'?

5 comments:

  1. I don't have to be around the books of others all day every day. Unless I choose. Well, besides my own collection at home. :)

    But, when I'm at a book store, I get shelf envy. I walk down the YA section, row after row and see the lovely book covers. Wonder and assume where mine would be placed, and wish I could hold it. Wish I could post pictures of other people holding my book all over my blog.

    Only, it doesn't zap me. It encourages me and excites me. But that's cause right now I'm revising, with all the hopes and dreams for this new version. I do know what happens next though. Cause this isn't my first rodeo. Next I send out the queries with a glimmer in my eyes and then they slowly trickle back as form rejections. Then, I'll go into a book store and curse them all to hell. :)

    Nah, maybe not to hell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, and I try so hard to not feel disheartened. I see books and think "I need to be here too!" So I get out my notebook and get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Thanks both of you!

    You're right, Rachel. I only get shelf envy when my own WIP has stalled or my query process is particularly slow (like it is now). It's when I feel like I'm not moving forward that it starts to get to me. Otherwise it's energizing. And I love working with all those YA titles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look at those books and remind myself of all the time, effort, and struggle behind each and every one of them. And then I work on my WIP to feel like I'm moving fowward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shelf envy thing would be really hard. I think that sometimes, though usually at the library. If you find a cure for this, let me know. Besides being published, of course. There's only so much you can do to make that happen and I'm already doing what I can there.


    But it sounds like an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...