Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Are you Ready for Winter?

I don't know about you, but there's something about Winter - especially in books and movies - that's magical. Even though it's cold, uncomfortable, and dark for way too long, there's beauty in the ice and snow.

A lot of books (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, for instance) focus on Winter in a magical or supernatural way. My own novel A Shadow Story begins with a Winter storm.

How many books have you read with Winter as a theme or integral part of the setting? How does it affect the tone of the book? Does it help to make it more magical/spooky/uncomfortable for you or the MC?

-------------------

Winter Nymph 6x2.5 inches, air-dry clay
I also wanted to share with you a neat little discovery I made today. A sculpture I created two years ago of a tree nymph with bare winter branches has this year sprouted what looks like crystals. At first I was surprised and then I was delighted because the crystals were exactly what the piece needed to come alive!

I proceeded to take tons of pictures of her to try and capture the glittering effect. This is as close as I got.

The nymph is made out of Crayola air-dry clay, untreated, unpainted, and left sitting in a china cabinet. I've never seen anything like it before!

3 comments:

  1. *in awe of your talent* Wow!

    I love to read Philip Pullman's Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass) in winter because of its snowy setting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great one, Miss Cole! It should go on my list too. And, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cool effect! It definitely looks like the crystals were deliberate--they popped up in just the right places! I wonder what made it do that? Lovely sculpture, too!

    I think winter is the most captivating season. I think modern humans must still have the instinctive knowledge that winter is what kills you if you're unprepared. I keep trying to write a ghost story about a woman who's snowed in at a cabin in the mountains--someday, maybe!

    Trying to think of other "winter" books. The Golden Compass, definitely. There's a cool book called The Ghost Drum, by Susan Price, that's set in Russia and is very cold and wintry. It's a children's book, but extremely dark--a witch, for example, steals a newborn by using snow to create a simulacrum of a stillborn child and giving it to the mother. There's also GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire ("Winter is Coming"), with lots of starvation and hypothermia and snow zombies. And there's The Snow Queen, of course, which is one of my favorite fairy tales ever. Wasn't The Wolves of Willoughby Chase set in winter? Can't remember.

    I had another book on the tip of my tongue, but can't remember it now. Will keep thinking!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...