Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How Do Writers Handle the Holidays?

Lighten up, James. And don't sue me.
After this recent blog break and getting through Thanksgiving, I'm wondering how other writers are managing the stress and excitement of the holidays. A writing schedule can be hard to keep up during the rest of the year, but toward Christmas, things seem to speed up for the downhill ride to New Year. It can be a depressing time of the year for a lot of people. Days are shorter, nights are colder, and memories hang a little closer to our hearts.

For a lot of writers, December means the start of revisions for Nano, and the planning of another year's projects. Whether this means querying, starting something new, or taking a well-deserved break, it's all about change and new challenges.

I use December as a time to get cozy with the family and settle in to writing more on my current projects. I find myself gravitating to other writers to share ideas and encourage each other. While the world is in high-gear madness, I put the brakes on. Or at least I try to. It's hard to move slowly in a fast world, but the longer I live, the less I feel like rushing.

How do you handle the holidays? Do you think it's a time to speed up or slow down?

2 comments:

  1. Normally I write throughout December, but this year I'm travelling a lot so I think I'll probably slip a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I handle is it in taking the month of December off completely. I then typically leave the country in which I am staying and return home to either Toronto or Arizona.

    When there is writing to be done (which there is as I am starting my 3rd novel), I begin with a leisurely atmosphere and do not place any pressure on myself.

    It's always worked best for me.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...