Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Living Dead Girl

2003 pen and ink illustration
No, not the song by Rob Zombie. That's just how I feel today. It's been a very hard week. I went to the viewing for my aunt over the weekend, and last night after work I got an email from an agent with a full rejection. Then there was the election. The stress of everything just left me feeling threadbare. It was a long day, followed by an even longer night.

Since the weekend, I've experienced anger, frustration, despair, more anger, sorrow, disappointment, resentment. All the fun ones. Last night it all hit me like a ton of bricks. I found that family is the best support in a time like this. They understand, they agree, and they sympathize.

Things feel somewhat better today. I'm moving through the stages of grief and into acceptance - of everything. I'm starting with the things I can actually do something about.

I'm thinking I approached queries from the wrong angle. I might have to query my novel as middle grade to get the right response from agents. I've considered it before, but made it hard on myself because I thought I'd have to change my entire story to fit the middle grade label. Maybe I don't.

How many of you have had to alter your query approach or relabel your manuscript? How did it work out for you?


2 comments:

  1. The biggest change I've made lately was the huuuuuuge rewrite my query underwent during WriteOnCon. So far it's earned me a personalised rejection ^^;

    I know they say sometimes doing the hard thing is the right thing - the brave thing - but if you're changing the story just to be MG rather than it already being more suited to MG, I say don't do it. But ultimately the decision is yours.

    And don't give in. It's a long hard road.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...