Monday, January 14, 2013

Who Was Your Fictional Teen Crush?

Most of us have had a teen crush - the boy or girl in high school we couldn't take our eyes off of when they were in the same room, or even walking down a crowded hallway. At one time or another we've probably had crushes on celebrities, but some of us have also had crushes on fictional characters.

When I was in junior high and high school, my older brother made certain I wouldn't be ignorant of the world of comic books. That's when I got my first fictional teen crush. He came dressed in a brown trench coat with the usual close-fitting superhero spandex underneath. Only his spandex was black and red (and blue) and his weapon of choice was kinetically charged playing cards. He also used a bo staff, which I thought was pretty darn cool, and he spoke with a heavy Cajun accent (accents get me, and I love when they're written in fiction).

Since then, I've discovered Gambit is a pretty popular figure in the fictional crush category, but at the time I didn't have anyone else to share my fangirling with. So I made myself content writing fanfiction and drawing fanart starring him and his tough southern lady. I wasn't one of those girls who wrote herself into stories married to her crush. His match to me was always Rogue, who I admired as a strong female character. Their tense and often troubled relationship was magnetic. (I and most of the female fanbase wanted to see them get together without fear of her powers.)

My teenage Gambit-swooning days are over (no longer a teen, still swooning), but the same type of fictional guy that attracted me then attracts me now. And that type attracts other girls from teens to twenties and up. Books (and comics/manga) often sell based on fictional crushes.

So, here's a question for the writers: How do you write your fictional teen crushes? Are they the type you're attracted to yourself? Are they based on a fictional crush you used to have or still have?

Who was your fictional teen crush?

3 comments:

  1. Last week's episode of Big Bang Theory had the four girls "crushing" over Thor. It reminds me of this post. Penny said, "Thor is hot."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Big Bang. I'd say most of Thor's appeal is his hammer - and I don't mean that as a euphemism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an excellent question. I'm not sure if I can remember any fictional crushes back in the day. Maybe Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables? I'm sure there were others, but the only guys that stand out in my mind were the ones that I obsessed over in real life. O_o I can remember them pretty clearly. I think the love interests in my stories are just an amalgamation of great qualities I think a teen guy should have (that any guy should have, really). :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...