Tuesday, February 26, 2013

13 Questions Writer Meme

Time and time again I've been told that blogs are ways writers connect with their audiences, but not by talking about their books, by talking about themselves. I'm still groping my way around the blogosphere, finding my niche. So, I decided to create a little question meme for people who are new to the blog.

13 Questions Meme/Writer Meme

1. What did you want to be when you grew up? Why?
An artist. Because I love to draw. This is why I put 'illustrator' in front of 'writer' when I post info about myself.

2. Do you have a day job? What is it?
Yes. I work at a library, which is a really great way to accumulate piles of books.

3. What do you most love to do in your spare time?
When I'm not drawing, writing, or doing something for work, I game on my pc.

4. What do you like to read the most?
I like to read books filled with adventurous quests and magic in far-from-ordinary settings, with characters developing strengths and abilities they didn't have at the beginning, and learning things that will carry them into the sequel. Lately I've been into Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter type stories, only with a female MC.

5. What do you like to write?
Kidlit - everything from Picture Books to YA, but it has to have fantasy elements, low romance, adventure, maybe a little mystery, another world, and at least one strong female character.

6. When did you decide you wanted to be a writer?
When I was in junior high I decided I wanted to write and illustrate my own book series.

7. Do you have any pets?
Yes. Two cats - a black manx male named Figaro and a little tabby female named Squirrel.

8. What about your family?
I come from a big, close family who always encouraged me in my creative pursuits and told me I could be and do anything I wanted when I grew up. I am very thankful.

9. What are your creative influences?
Tim Burton, Neil Gaiman, Hayao Miyazaki, Lewis Carroll, Gerald Brom and many others.

10. Do you have a favorite snack/beverage?
I drink nearly any kind of tea, but lately it's been lapsang souchong and camomile with honey. I also love sourdough pretzels, gummi candy and conversation hearts.

11. Any favorite movies?
Yes! Labyrinth, Legend, and The 10th Kingdom (although it's really a mini-series). I also love any version of Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan (including the mini-series called Neverland).

12. What about favorite books?
(see #11) Also, anything by Terry Pratchett, the Harry Potter series, Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, the Fly By Night books by Frances Hardinge and Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

13. What 'truth' (as in truth or dare) about yourself do you feel comfortable sharing?
I used to be shy. (People I admit this to are often very surprised.)


Feel free to answer these questions on your own blog and post a link back in the comments!


4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love the 10th kingdom! Super guilty pleasure = watching that once a year.


    And umm, also .... I think we are like book favorite twins or something. I love Terry Pratchett to death, and HP, and Daughter of Smoke and Bone ... and, ok I'll stop now?


    What games do you play?

    ReplyDelete
  2. *waves arms* Yaaaaay! Yes! Me too! (the watching at least once a year, which means it's due) I really loved the direction they went with it and it actually influenced my own YA novel.

    SO glad you like those books. I often have a hard time finding my match in book tastes. I'm on Maskerade now (trying to read in some kind of order) and I love the combo of Pratchett's witches and Phantom of the Opera satire. (Love Phantom anyway)


    Lately I've been playing Fallout 3. I also like Bioshock 1& 2, Alice: Madness Returns, American McGee's Alice, Plants vs. Zombies, Minecraft and sometimes Second Life. You?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers! So cool that you can draw too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...