Monday, February 25, 2013

Because You Write What You Love


            Then suddenly, like a change in the weather, she sensed him – a presence that made her frightened and curious. It was strong and familiar, like nostalgia, and reminded her of warm blankets in the wintertime. What confused and frustrated her was that she didn’t know why.
She fixed her gaze upon the door to the study, and waited the length of a few heartbeats, but no one emerged. Meanwhile, the little shadow creatures drew nearer, their ranks expanding as they came from everywhere. Every corner and shadowed surface seemed to offer up a shuddering darkling. She pressed her back to the bookshelf behind her, unable to escape any further. 
~ from A Shadow Story (Chapter Seven: Burglary and Black Buttons) 
by Donelle Lacy


This is why I still love my YA Victorian novel. Even after I've gotten rejection after rejection. Even after I've felt like maybe it's just not what's popular right now. I don't care. I love everything from it's atmosphere to its characters, and I love the feeling I get when I read it again after months of letting it sit.

Try reading something of yours and fall in love all over again.

7 comments:

  1. Such a great reminder. it's so easy for rejections to dishearten us and make us forget that we actually can write a good book!

    And I love the sound of creepy little shadow monsters! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think that's just it. They make us forget how good our books actually are. So, it's nice to get away from querying and take a look at our books with new eyes and no judgement and see what we fell in love with in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those heartbeats. ....it's been almost a year since I fell in love with a writing of mine again. I put it aside to differently manage something in the family...but reading those heartbeats! makes me want to stop waiting so long to take it out again. Rejection is hard...but...it's good to be in love with your writing. One day will come the coveted "Yes."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life and family can put writing on hold. But it's not forever. Talent and desire for something doesn't just disappear. You'll get back to it when you can and it'll be all the better for the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this exerpt. :) I actually thought you were quoting a published novel until I read down to your name...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! Here's hoping it'll become a published novel soon!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...