Friday, February 22, 2013

Good Fridays: The Apple Project


Fourteen children! That's how many kids showed up for my library art class on Thursday. And that's my Good Fridays item. Good Fridays is a spot on the blog when I highlight something good I've discovered, done, or dreamed up over the past week.

fully shaded apple drawn by me
Eager homeschoolers between the ages of 11 and 14 clustered around me at a long table at the back of the library where I work. When I spoke, they absorbed, and when I started them off, they drew, they listened, they tried. The thrill over so many young faces staring at me in anticipation still hasn't worn off. I'm giddy they all seem to really want to know about art!

Our project for the class, and to take home after, was to do with apples. Drawing them realistically and creatively. Why apples? Because they're a simple shape that can be as detailed or as basic as you want to make them.

my apple sketches
The kids weren't terribly eager for apples (though one boy did suggest eating them). I told them how you can take a shape like an apple and do countless creative things with it, while still making it look like an apple. They got a kick out of drawings I'd done the night before showing what I meant. I had an apple in jeans (applebottom jeans), an apple as a lady's rump (which got lots of giggles), an apple as an angler fish ready to chomp down on a pair of nervous cherries, and an apple sun rising behind a range of mountains.

By the end of class, they'd drawn some still-life apples and were ready to be creative with apples at home. I look forward to seeing what they come up with!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had so much fun! If we lived in the area, Amy would so be joining that class. All the things one can do with an apple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did! If Amy were in my class, I'd love to have her. I know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so I'd be eager to see how creative she is.



    Yep! It's all about making something simple into something interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...