Monday, March 11, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful!

Over the weekend I went to see Oz the Great and Powerful in 3-D with my nephew and bro-in-law. It was a phenomenally colorful movie. I liked it, though I'm not a big James Franco fan. My favorite characters were the china girl, the Wicked Witch of the West (after she turned green), and the Wizard (after he became a smoky projection). I noticed I liked these last two most after they attained their signature style. New writers are a lot like that.

New writers remind me of Oz before he becomes The Great and Powerful, still searching for the key that will make us great.We know what agents want, so we try to transform ourselves into that thing. Promoting is the same. Self-promo and platform-building feels like constructing an elaborate stage to perform on. You pick and choose what you reveal about yourself and what you don't. You flash your knowledge and skill around like a fancy cape.You project yourself as you'd like future readers (or current ones) to see you. It all starts to feel like a big show.

So, how do you handle your online persona? With a mask of smoke and mirrors, or by finding that delicate balance between your writer self and your everyday self? Is there a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...