Friday, April 5, 2013

Good Fridays: What I do on Thursdays

By night (and on my days off) I'm an illustrator and a writer, but by day I'm a library clerk. There's also something extra I do every other Thursday at my local library that involves being both.


I teach an art class. I've had 14 kids since the first day - all homeschoolers with attentive, eager minds. Their ages range from 10 to 16 years old, and they're great. My favorite thing about this class is how interested the kids are and how much potential they have. It encourages me to see them involved with art and already honing their skills. There is so much I can show them.


 Throughout my elementary and high school years, I had helpful, encouraging art teachers, but the learning was up to me. I taught myself a lot of what I know by drawing all the time, by reproducing on paper what I saw in life, comic books, and cartoons. By college I had a style all my own and had learned enough to teach others. My greatest teacher was practice, but I wouldn't have gotten that far if I hadn't listened to constructive criticism from those who knew more than I did. 

What I hope for with this class is to teach them something useful that stays with them into the future and helps them become better artists. The best advice I have for them is to keep drawing. Draw as much as you can and learn as much as you can about drawing. (There are plenty of books on the subject.)

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool, Donelle! I think it would be neat to see what these kids come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes. It's a good work you're doing, something encourage them and get them more interested in it. I like how you mentioned the behind the scenes truth as well, the hours of practicing on one's own. That's where the skill is developed, refined, developed even more. So true. The kids at the library have one of the best teachers they could have ^_^

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...