Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Blog Hiatus

I've seen this thing around, thanks to Jaime Morrow, and I like the idea, so I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Mostly I just needed an excuse to update people during my little blog break. I'm not sure when it's officially over, but I'm going to take as much time as I need.

What I've Been Up To:

I'm recovering from my chiropractor putting my dislocated floating rib back into place, which has been out of place for many months. (I don't even know how the rib got out of place to begin with.) He basically had to twist me in half, turning the top half one way and the bottom half the other. Then he taped me up to relieve the pressure on the rib. I'm hoping this means that after this there will be no more rib trouble.

All I wanted to do the past week was lie down, which I couldn't do because I had to work. (Being on my feet after an adjustment like that isn't the best way to recuperate.) After a few days, I wasn't in much pain, but I did feel tremendously exhausted as if my whole back was trying to go on strike. I had to keep sitting down at work (I couldn't curl up in a ball because people would stare) and the pain medication didn't have much effect. Anyone who has dealt with this kind of thing might know what I'm talking about, but for me it was a first. I've never had back trouble and I can almost always explain why I feel tired. Except for now. I guess I'll just have to blame the rib.

What I've Been Watching:

So, rather than writing on my MS, I've been lying down as much as possible and watching a ton of television. This means catching up on Season 2 of Grimm and introducing myself to Red Dwarf, which I just can't seem to stop watching.

As far as Grimm goes, I love the show but there are some things I don't like about it. I wish it was a lot less gory than it is and I wish Nick's girlfriend didn't make me want to kill her. (Mini rant warning.) She's too closed-minded to realize what she asks of him and when he finally gives her the thing she asks for she freaks out and total drama ensues. And then it's all about her. Personally, I think he could do a lot better. (Am I weird to think it'd be interesting to see him with a Wesen?)

I wouldn't want someone who would ditch me as soon as things got a little unusual or hairy. I'd want someone who would support me even if I told him little blue men live in my clothes drier and take one sock a month as payment for their services. I tell you, the woman just has no imagination and she's far too easily spooked.

Red Dwarf is cracked out and also highly addictive. I'm developing the theory that the creators of both Farscape and Futurama watched Red Dwarf to get ideas. I'd really love to know if this theory is valid.

What I've Been Reading:

As far as reading goes, it's been The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett. Then it'll probably be The Scorch Trials by James Dashner. I read The Maze Runner and all I can say is that it was just what I needed after something like Matched which was a female-centric romance (that I also liked, go figure). The Maze Runner is full of adventure, made-up slang, and testosterone, in the form of a large group of boys trapped in the middle of a giant maze they have to find a way out of. There is no romance, but possibly the hint of something like it to come. The end of the first book definitely leads you to read the second, but it thankfully gives some closure to book's plot. So it's not exactly a cliffhanger.

What Inspires Me Right Now:

Um... food? Over the weekend we had a church carry-in dinner and I got to relax and enjoy a plate of various desserts as well as one of various side-dishes that I didn't have to cook. I'm still working on the desserts.

I also bought myself one of those big, all-day lolipops as a reward for making it through a work day without keeling over. That lolipop gave me the strength to go on.

So, what about you? What's up with you this week?

11 comments:

  1. This is my first Wednesday participating on the meme, though I've been wanting to since Jaime started it.
    I'm so sorry about your ribs problem. I hope you feel better soon!

    Wow, you liked Matched? I thought you weren't much of a sugar-romance girl ;) I'm a sugar-romance girl and I didn't like it! Go figure lol
    Oh, please, don't talk about food! I'm trying to cut back on sweets and all fatty foods a little lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed THE MAZE RUNNER and THE SCORCH TRIALS, but I still have yet to read the third in the series and the prequel. So many books and so little time! That lollipop looks especially tasty! :-) Hope you're starting to feel closer to 100% again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH! Hope that's all better soon ^_^

    Red Dwarf is one of those programmes I have watched for my whole life. My eldest brother taped it all and I used to watch it over and over... and let me tell you, watching it as a five year old and then watching it again years later really makes a difference :P I still know half the episodes off by heart and yet laugh every time. Oh gosh, now I wanna watch it all again too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lollipop for making it through work? Now that I can get behind :) I've been meaning to read MATCHED for a little while now, but I'm not sure I'd like it that much...still, hopefully I'll get around to it sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, your back and rib issues sound awful! Hope you feel better really soon! I can see why you're watching TV instead of working on your WIP. Geez, I only have a cold and I can't bring myself to write anything right now. Your post reminds me that I still need to read THE KILL ORDER. I've read the other books In James Dashner's series, but got sidetracked on this one. Enjoy that huge lollipop! It looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good that you're taking this time to recover-- it sounds well deserved. LOVE that giant lolly. You're giving me serious flashbacks to childhood. YUM. I can't speak to Grimm or Red Dwarf, but I have been meaning to read the Maze Runner forever. It sounds really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I hope your cold gets better. I haven't started the Scorch Trials, but I hope it'll be as good as the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Maze Runner was a pretty good book. I've been recommending it ever since reading it. I hope you like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, it's better now, but it took a bit to heal.



    I can only imagine how weird that show seemed to a five-year-old! ... Do iiiiiiit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Total agreement on so many books and so little time. I'm feeling better, yes, thanks! The lolipop was quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, I feel better now that it's been another week. Resting it did help.


    I was really surprised I liked Matched. I tried to sort of gloss over the love triangle since I really don't like those, but what kept me reading was the world and the MC realizing the truth about her society. It helped that I liked her and her main crush enough to read on.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...