Friday, June 7, 2013

Good Fridays: Plot Saved and Rib Located!

Since my last post, my dislocated rib is located again and I'm feeling much better. Thanks to everyone who wished me a speedy recovery!

Boogey portrait preview
Within the past week, along with watching tons of Red Dwarf, I've also gotten creatively productive. I started a digital portrait of my MC Lividia's Boogeyman to match one I later plan to paint of her. Here's a cropped preview of the WIP---->

I've been listening to a ton of music, and brainstorming like a mad woman - with the help of my grad school CP Jenn. She's a game designer, and she's miraculous with plot ideas and character arcs. She helped me make the connection between a seemingly innocuous character in the first book and a major villain in the rest of the series, which is a really big deal. A series always seems easier to manage when more than one headspace is host to it. Without her input I'd probably still be dragging along a character who was nothing more than a plot device.

Writers can get tunnel vision sometimes and I know I did over my first novel. Thanks to Jenn, I have a greater sense of freedom with what I can really do with the series (anything I want!) and what characters I can use to fulfill which purpose. The plot has gotten a lot deeper and more complicated than it was before I talked to her.

I went from feeling like this with my story:

to feeling like this:


So, that's my highlight for this Good Fridays post: my CP Jenn. She doesn't have a blog, but she does have a Deviantart Gallery.
 

Has your plot ever been saved by a brilliant creative partner?


1 comment:

  1. GREAT post, and great clips at the end!! :) YES, critique partners have been essential to my projects!! LOVE THEM.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...