Monday, September 2, 2013

Get off the Island!

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me; I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island. 


Those are some of the lyrics to Simon and Garfunkel's song "I Am a Rock". In high school, I used to love this song. It spoke to the literary buff and poet in me who had such a small circle of friends that liked the same things I did. Even so, the lyrics were lonely and depressing. I eventually stopped listening to the song, but there are times when I flash back to that teen.

During my blog hiatus, and from time-to-time in my creative life, I've felt like I was on an island, cut off from inspiration and creative social contact. I haven't written in a long time and I've gotten sour on the publishing process, but this past week I began to brainstorm again for my book series. It's a start, and it's got me wanting to reach out to the collective consciousness for the inspiration I've been lacking.

After a month's blog break, I've decided it's time to get off the island. 

If you're on an island and need a little help finding your way off, you might want to check this out:




1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...