Saturday, September 21, 2013

Good Fridays on Saturday: Style and Motion

It's been a good week.
I didn't blog Monday because I couldn't think of anything to blog about. So, I sketched, and it was productive. I realized two things: I'm rusty, and I need to improve my illustration style. I don't draw badly, but the anatomy looks horrible after so long not drawing much. The second realization is a little trickier. I know the only way to improve my style is to draw anything and everything I can, and it will come of its own accord. You can try to teach style, but it's best to come into it naturally. My style has always been strong, but I don't like it as much as I used to. Style does change over the years, but the more you explore different styles, the more you can adopt your own.

I don't know how similar style in illustration is to style in writing, but I have a feeling the same rule applies. Write as much as you can, play around with it, read a lot of authors and get ideas from them, and soon you'll have your own distinct style. Style is style, whatever the medium.

While sketching I also listened to a lot of upbeat music, including these three songs that always make me want to draw characters in motion.





1 comment:

  1. I think you're right about how we just come into our own style, especially when we're reading a variety of styles. Whether it's illustration or writing, the same thing does apply. And the more you work away at it, the more entrenched you become in your own style, which is fantastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...