Monday, November 4, 2013

November Sketch Challenge: My NaNo

Every year I consider doing Nano, and every year I get crabby because it's not for me. This year I decided to do something to focus the powerful Nano energy that's buzzing around. I'm doing a sketch challenge through the month of November, but it's not like other sketch challenges. This one depends heavily on the random words of wisdom and silliness I find on Twitter.

How the Challenge Works: 
Every day in November I'll browse Twitter for some nugget of imagery that'll prompt my creative juices to start flowing. Then, for at least a half hour, I'll sketch my interpretation. Later, I'll post the new illustration on Twitter, along with the tweet of the person who inspired me. I'll also post updates on the blog so my blog followers won't miss anything.

I might do a few sketches a day, I might do only one, but at least one of them will be inspired by a person on Twitter. If you want to follow me, I'm @DonelleLacy and the hashtag I'm using for this challenge is #novsketch

I don't know who or what will be my next inspiration, so you're free to come along for the ride!

What inspired me:
NaNo, of course! But mostly it was a quote from @BiskyScribbles on Twitter that read "Writing is the place I go to pet all my demons." had illustrated it and I was inspired, so I did too.
pen and ink without pencil sketch first

That went over so well and was so fun that I decided to combine it with a Nanoish challenge for myself - something that would flex my rusty drawing muscles and help me work toward getting an illustration agent next year. I've been so frozen by needing to make 'portfolio quality' work that I kept myself from drawing anything. So far this challenge has been loads of fun and is also social, which is something I've missed since grad school.

The Sketches:
The point of this challenge is to draw from short phrases that inspire instant images in my head. It's also to sketch without 'editing', much like Nanoers are encouraged to do. So, I'll try to draw my ink sketches without using pencil first, and I'll try to keep erasers away from my pencil sketches. I'll be working without a net. So, you'll see wonky anatomy and probably extra lines. And, unlike most nano manuscripts, I'm going to show it all to you!

Here are the Twitter-inspired sketches so far:

Nov. 2 Angry Birds of War (pencil sketch) inspired by a tweeted review by @KMWeiland on the book Early Birds of War by Thomas R. Funderburk.

I was a little concerned someone would be offended by this, since the birds are wearing military hats from WW2. But it was so funny-looking, I opted to post it anyway.


Nov. 3 Social Butterfly (pencil sketch) inspired by a tweet from @KirkusMacGowan where he claimed not to be a social butterfly, so I turned him into one. I don't know what he thinks of it yet (since he's probably not seen it) but I hope he's flattered.

And lastly,

Nov. 2 Serious Gamer Girl (ink and brush pen, no sketch, no eraser, lots of anatomy issues) inspired by this song:


My themesong for this challenge seems to be Katy Perry's Roar. I can't stop listening to it since my nephew shared it with me.

If you're participating in NaNo, I hope it's going well for you and that you're having lots of fun, because I'm having a blast!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You are sooooooo talented! Did you take lessons? I wish I could sketch. I do try, but it's very amateurish...
    This is a fabulous way in which to channel your NaNo energy and keep the creative juices buzzing...
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Michelle! Yes, I took about six years of it in college and grad school. I started out by just doodling as a kid, copying things I saw. Everyone has their path. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! You are so talented. I'll go follow you on Twitter. Thanks for sharing these with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna B. McNicol [@dbmcnicol]November 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM

    You are one talented lady...love it and adding your blog to my reading list. Thanks for stopping by my site and commenting!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...