Thursday, January 9, 2014

IWSG: Taking Time to be Awesome

I'm late for the IWSG, so I've read a few blogs already that address some of the topics I've been thinking about lately. You know what that tells me? It tells me that this year so many of us are on the same page, concerned about the same things, and have a similar attitude about what 2014 can hold for us. That, to me, is pretty cool.

I've been busy through the holidays, busy since they ended, and I foresee being busy for the rest of the year. What I need now is to schedule myself so I have the time to do the things I want, and the time to rest and relax so I have energy to do them.

Something so amazing but so simple to me is what happens when I just decompress, disconnect from all the demanding outlets, and take time. Shower time, rearranging my sock drawer time, zen time - when your body is on auto-pilot and your mind wanders and doesn't have to feel tugged in multiple directions. I have few things that allow me to do that, but when I do my mind opens up, I have time to focus, and when I focus, I become amazing. I'm suddenly brilliant, organized, connected, passionate. I give one subject all my attention.

I've gotten so caught up in the fast internet pace of things, the impression that everything was supposed to be done yesterday, that I always feel behind, I always feel rushed and I never feel like I've accomplished enough. Even now I'm having a hard time, because I still only have one novel and the beginnings of another to show for the years I've worked. That's because my time is always divided, and my motivation is sometimes nonexistent. But beating myself up won't help. Now that I've answered the siren song of revision, I need to focus even more. In order to do that, I need to take time. I need to turn off all the chatter and distraction, and zen out with my book. And I need your help. I can't stay in the shower all the time.

What are your favorite ways to decompress, clear your mind, and gain focus?


3 comments:

  1. I play with my grandchildren. There is nothing that makes me relax more. I agree, Donelle, we need to schedule time for ourselves. Burnout comes too easily when we don't. Best wishes for a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy Campbell-ChambersJanuary 10, 2014 at 5:32 AM

    Hi, Donelle,
    Taking time to remember that writing isn't a sprint, but a marathon helps me focus and like you said, it helps tremendously to shape some kind of schedule and stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I decompress in four ways: a hot bath (to me, a bubble bath can cure almost anything); a good book; petting and cuddling my cats (great fuzzy stress relievers); and watching a movie with The Boy. Various combinations of the four are fantastic. And The Boy always gives foot rubs…another bonus if you can get one.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...