Wednesday, January 1, 2014

What Are Your Creative Goals for the New Year?

You know all that greatness you were at the edge of in 2013? 2014 is the year you'll achieve it. 

Since I started my journey to publication, I've lived in many emotional conditions, felt I was ready to publish tomorrow, and felt my work was so under par no agent would look at me twice. It's funny, though. Throughout all that, I never seriously thought of giving up. I took a step back, reevaluated, but never thought of doing anything else. Because I can't do anything else. I just can't.

I'm a library clerk for my day job, and I love it more than I could imagine. I want to keep doing it, as long as I have time to pursue my illustration and writing. But this year I want to get to the heart of my true passion. I discovered with my November Sketch Challenge that I love interactive illustration. I just have to figure out a way to get paid for it. I don't want to do portraits anymore. I want to illustrate fresh words, bring another dimension to stories, carve out my definitive style and carve it so deep in the illustration world no amount of abrasive critique could erase it.

Here's what I accomplished in 2013:

- survived Query Letter Hell on the AbsoluteWrite forums
- stopped querying my book and started revising it
- collected new beta readers
- made a lot of new friends through Twitter and Novsketch
- added new work to my illustration portfolio
- caught the attention of an agent who now follows me on Twitter
- got a gig illustrating for Under the Juniper Tree Magazine
- got offered a promotion at work
- found a new website host and left the old host
- built a shiny new website for my portfolio
- read 29 books
- saved enough money to continue my doll hobby


Here's my list of creative goals for 2014:

- finish revising my YA Manuscript
- query said manuscript
- focus on developing my illustration style
- do another Novsketch or similar sketch challenge
- sell more illustrations
- get back into piano
- finish the first draft of the second book in my YA series
- read 40 books
- buy my second ball-jointed doll and customize her


I can't wait to get to them! What goals are you excited to get started on?

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, playing the piano must be wonderful :)

    Best of luck with all your writing and illustrating goals too.

    Happy New Year :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...