Friday, March 7, 2014

John Cleese Can Solve Your Writer's Block

Are you in the middle of revisions? How about a particularly hairy part of your first draft and you can't seem to get around the problem you've created for yourself? John Cleese's approach to creativity may be able to help.

I found this lecture really enlightening, and grinned from ear-to-ear while watching it.  (The original article is on Brainpickings.org) I've applied Cleese's five factors unconsciously many times. Those are always the times I've had the most fun and produced the best work.

John Cleese is brilliant, and what he says can be applied to any creative field. See if you agree.

Short Version:

  1. Space (“You can’t become playful, and therefore creative, if you’re under your usual pressures.”)
  2. Time (“It’s not enough to create space; you have to create your space for a specific period of time.”)
  3. Time (“Giving your mind as long as possible to come up with something original,” and learning to tolerate the discomfort of pondering time and indecision.)
  4. Confidence (“Nothing will stop you being creative so effectively as the fear of making a mistake.”)
  5. Humor (“The main evolutionary significance of humor is that it gets us from the closed mode to the open mode quicker than anything else.”)

Long Version:



1 comment:

  1. Ah, I loved this so much! I've seen a lot on creative processes, but this really hits home. You know, the first thing I do when I get home to unwind and hopefully get into the creative zone is to sit down and watch my favorite Youtubers being idiots. XD If they don't upload that day, it always takes longer to get into it.
    I know I have a ridiculous amount of humor in my life, who knew it was contributing to creativity? XD
    I should probably work on finding some more time and a specific place, though, I've seen many writers harp on that.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...