Sunday, June 1, 2014

Do You Live Up To Your Name?

I'm a firm believer in the power of names. A name is more than just its sound and assembly of letters. Once upon a time, a first name reflected the personality of the one it belonged to. It told their history, their strengths and weaknesses, their class and their heritage. A surname told your trade, whose child you were, or where you were born. Names were an important way to get to know strangers before they spoke a single word. Names were labels you either wore proudly or with shame, and you carried them with you your whole life.

When a child was given an important name, his parents expected him to live up to it. It was a prophecy for his life. His name would influence the treatment he received from others and dictate his life's direction. Children hoped for good names so they would have a head start on a great life. Their name would remind them of the potential they had, and the faith their parents had in this potential.

I have a great name.

Donelle is the feminine form of Donald, which was my father's name. It's from the Gaelic name Domhnall which means "ruler of the world". My brother and sisters have meaningful names too, but I was the one chosen to carry on this one.

Having this name is a great encouragement. Whenever I think about it and where it came from, I remember there's no dream too big, no goal too high for me to reach with God's help and my own determination.

Am I living up to the prophecy this name bestowed upon me? I'll have to say yes. And I plan to continue ruling the world, one universe at a time.

What does your name mean? Are you living up to it? 

{Click for BehindtheName.com to find out what your name means}


6 comments:

  1. Katherine TraylorJune 2, 2014 at 5:50 AM

    Possibly "pure," or possibly something entirely different (http://www.behindthename.com/name/katherine). "Pure" is a little boring unless you get really philosophical about it, and anyway my mom only chose it because she thought "Kate" was a cute nickname, so I don't worry too much about it anymore. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the name Kate! It's one of my favourites. I've named my current protagonist Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. My mom once heard that the name Holly meant "good luck." She chose it for me because four years before I was born, she had lost her first child. By the time I was eleven, I realized Holly didn't suit me and changed it to Holli. That small tweak has made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine TraylorJune 3, 2014 at 1:18 AM

    Awesome! : D There should be more of us (as if there weren't enough already).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the name Kate. I don't think I've ever seen an MC named Kate in literature I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Either spelling, I like the name Holli too. Researching superstitions and lore for my book, I found that holly is supposed to prevent bad dreams since it's considered a protective plant.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...