Thursday, June 19, 2014

Is It Time To Change Your Life?

Tell me where is fancy bred, 
or in the heart or in the head?
- Merchant of Venice Act 3, Scene 2


When did you know it was time to change your life?

For me it was this week. I can't say the moment it happened, or what specific thing triggered it. In fact, it was many small things all piled up to present me with the undeniable fact things had to change.

A tremendous hail storm damaged our house to the point we need a new roof and new siding. Our house is so old the contractors say we need a few new windows and two new doors. Fixing all that's wrong with it would cost a fortune. Good thing the insurance will cover the storm damage.

My coworker just quit to go on a five-month adventure with his wife to all the national parks from Ohio to Washington state, and then live there. I suddenly felt restless and left behind. I took a look at my job and realized I've been there two years. Two years part-time because I wanted to work toward another career. Two years unable to afford a 'real' vacation ('real' being plane tickets someplace nice with money for a hotel and activities) because of being part-time. Two years staring at library shelves that didn't have my books on them, books that didn't have my illustrations in them.

I've been hiding, or maybe I haven't been ready. But I think I am now. This is how I know:

  1. I daydream about the career I want, not the job I have. 
  2. I'm no longer satisfied with what I'm doing.
  3. I've turned down promotions at my day-job because I was planning for this.
  4. When I think about having this career I feel happy, and it feels right.
  5. I was born to do this.

I admit, I'm afraid. I've never tried to go pro. I've balked from querying as an illustrator for over two years now. There are countless concerns I have, countless excuses holding me back, but I can't wait any longer. It's time.

Are you at a big turning point in your life, or have you been through one? What signs let you know it was time to change?

12 comments:

  1. Kelia Reauchel LewisJune 19, 2014 at 9:31 PM

    I realized it was time to change the direction things were going when I saw I was only working to pay for what I wanted to "really" do...and getting sucked into all the worldly drama that had nothing to do with it. Over time, I came to realize more. That I was striving on my own power, yet praying and praising, etc. I kept saying to myself, "When the kids are older; once this is paid; once this other thing happens". Various "life" things happening in the family have made it clear that the status quo is just not what it should be..and I can begin NOW on each thing He shows me. Sometimes I have (even recently) to remind myself, "Haste makes waste" or "There is a way that seems right to man" and only give it to God, let Him guide it and not inject my "Well this is how it can be done". Because though He can work with it ^_^, it's better to just obey. It has taken me forever to realize there is a reason God gives us the dreams He gives us, and it's not just so we can think about them or one day do something that reminds of those old dreams. We can inspire others to see who God is by letting Him work through us. I am sorry to hear about your house, Donelle. It is a nice house, (if you're speaking of the one you lived in during childhood in Ohio). Whatever you do...ask God...and just let it go to your heart and not try to out-think it. Some things I haven't obeyed in and should have, or haven't completely, because I get scared or think "Well what if that doesn't go how it should" Well...how do I know what God intends from a thing anyway, right? ^_^ Obedience to Him will help your goals become so much more than what you already imagine. Wow, did not intend to say all that. But you are absolutely right: You are born to illustrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement, Kelia! This is great advice that I'll definitely be taking. Sometimes I wait too long for things and don't always take that leap of faith as soon as I feel inspired. Perhaps this particular thing is timed right. It feels like it.

    Yes, it's the same house. VERY old house, but the storm turned out to be a blessing. While there are still things that need done, the bulk of them will be covered by insurance. I just can't wait to make money that will allow me to pay for some of the fixing myself, and I won't have to wait for storms.

    I believe God gives us the dreams we have for a reason too. I'm glad yours are working out and that you're not letting worldly drama cut into them anymore. It does that so often. Things try to distract us from our real goals and waste our time and sometimes our money. I'm so tired of wasting time.

    I wish you many blessings in all the goals you undertake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! (By the way, I absolutely LOVE that drawing.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we have to take big leaps to move on with our lives. Best of luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelia Reauchel LewisJune 20, 2014 at 2:16 PM

    Thank you, Donelle! Many blessings to you too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so proud of you! Don't waste another minute. You are such a talented young woman. I quote Jim Carrey, "you can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Miss Cole!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Yael! I'm glad. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Holli! That's a good quote.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes it's as simple, and as complex, as getting out of our own way so we can 'know' it's time ... bravo on your knowing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I lost my job early this year and I had to ask myself- what would I do if I knew I couldn't fail? I dealt with my fear, stopped dreaming and started making it happen! Fear creeps in once in a while but then I still ask myself the same question- what would I do if I knew I couldn't fail?!! Your time is NOW! Take that big step!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. True and very inspiring. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...