Sunday, July 6, 2014

Are You a Pusher or Do You Need a Push?

Last Wednesday morning, my younger sister descended upon my house like a whirlwind and decided to rearrange the living room. I am not a morning person, and I often stay up late working on writing or art. So I was groggy and zombie-like and nowhere near inspired to move furniture. But, move furniture we did. And we cleaned, and dismantled the old entertainment center and put it out for trash pickup - all before noon. This is how my sister works. Afterward, you feel like you've been run over by the Clean House crew and Martha Stewart with a grudge to settle.

Thanks to my sister, the house feels more open and inviting, and I have one more thing crossed off the list of "things I've been meaning to do". On my own, I might've put the living room off a lot
longer.


Large projects don't daunt people like my sister. The more strenuous a job, the more she wants to do it, and she doesn't want to slow down just because it's hard. She's a pusher.

I am not a pusher. If I were a car, I'd be one that soars at top speed, but has trouble accelerating. Pushers can go from 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds.

With anything I do (including art and writing), once I have momentum, I'm cruising just fine. It's gaining that momentum that's often hard. That's why it's good for me to be around pushers.

 
Do you find yourself needing a little more motivation, or do you notice people telling you to slow down?

7 comments:

  1. Your sister sounds very energetic ;)

    If I am a pusher, I'm an extremely laid-back one :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a pusher sometimes, but usually people tell me I work too hard and have too much on the go. I could never envision having the energy to organize someone else's living room for them, though.

    Does your sister want to renovate my house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Part of the reason she gets so manic with redecorating is that she has a toddler and hardly any time to get things done. So everything's done fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you might be a high-energy person. You know, I bet she would! Right now she's still moving stuff all around hers. I think it's almost a hobby at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who's the pusher in your social circle?

    ReplyDelete
  6. At the moment, I don't really have one, which is why I've been crap at getting things done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe you'll meet one!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...