Saturday, January 3, 2015

What's Your New Year's Theme?

Last year had drastic ups and downs. There was doubt, death, and damage, but then there was triumph, hope, and rebuilding.

At the end of December, I was sick with a head-cold from Christmas through New Year's Day, forcing me to relax because I didn't feel good enough to get much done. My car had broken down before Christmas, making it so I couldn't go anywhere anyway. I'd already shopped, cooked, and prepped. Thankfully, I'd taken two weeks off work for the holidays. Those two weeks turned out to be just what I needed. Instead of writing, blogging, worrying, and beating myself up over what I wasn't getting done in December, I read good books, played pc games, napped, and laid around watching tv, recuperating. It was glorious.

Even though I was sick, I was able to recharge my creative juices and determination for the New Year. I picked up This Year I Will... by M.J. Ryan and read a little more on it, learning more about myself, and growing even more determined. I gave myself two questions and five exhortations for the year, writing them on my whiteboard calendar:
  • What worked?
  • What do you want?
  • Make time
  • Focus on today
  • Plan a future reward
  • Have a now reward
  • Try anything

Two are directly from the book, two are interpretations of the book's advice, and the last three are my own. "Try anything" is my favorite. It isn't a desperate plea, but a challenge to try different solutions and never shy away from new experiences.

If I could pick a video that captures that message, it'd be Psy's "Right Now".



If I picked a theme for 2015, it would be determination.
Do you have any words of wisdom for the New Year? How about a theme song?


5 comments:

  1. A break can be the most important thing to gathering the creative energy you need to move on. Hope you're feeling much better now, and here's to a determined year for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling much better. Thanks! Hoping you have many successes this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile smile ... It s a song my mother used to sing and definitely cheering on dark January mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love the classics! Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Determination to Try Anything. A very strong start to the new year. I like it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...