Wednesday, March 4, 2015

IWSG: Have You Found Your Tribe?

Jeff Goins wrote a great blog post on Finding Your Tribe. It's about the steps you take and the method you use to find your tribe, or as Jeff put it, your "true fans". These are people who really 'get' you and support you because your outlook, values, or life path coincide with their own. When you meet a member of your tribe, it's as though you've come home. You can be yourself - all of yourself - without judgement, and share your quirks and passions with another who's just as quirky and passionate as you are.

SSU Fantanime Club 2000. I'm in the purple skirt
My family has always been my tribe: creative people who value a relationship with God, self-improvement,
helping others, deep thinking, broadening their horizons, discovering new interests, and following their true calling. My parents and siblings are bookworms, teachers, students, caregivers, builders, creators, sharers, pioneers, initiators, optimists, geeks, writers, artists, and life coaches with vast imaginations. Most of my family and friends are in creative or educational fields, concentrating on furthering the dreams and education of others as well as themselves.

If you work in a job you love, chances are you can find members of your tribe there. College and graduate school are some of the best places to find your tribe. Through the years, I've found members of my tribe all over the place - from online roleplay groups, to various themed conventions, work events, and church functions. The internet can make it even easier to find your tribe, if you know where to look.

For writers, the best CPs come from your tribe, beta readers too, so it's a good idea to get looking. You can find readers in your genre on Goodreads, Twitter, Facebook groups, and many other places. And, of course, there's Insecure Writers Support Group! If you haven't found your tribe, this is a good place to start.

Have you found your tribe? What suggestions would you give to those still looking?

14 comments:

  1. My tribe consists of all the supportive writers I've met--my RWA chapter (Mid-Michigan), IWSG, & other online groups. Mention you're having problems and they all jump in with more advice than you'll ever use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have and I feel bless every day. Advice on finding supportive people. One must give to receive.

    Here's my link if you'd like to drop by :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good advice, Emaginette. I made sure to drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Groups like that are worth their weight in gold. Thanks for the comment, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Donelle. You're so lucky that part of your tribe is your family. That must feel so nice. I'm still working at building mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is pretty awesome, Holli. I feel very blessed. From the friends you already have, I'd say your tribe is well under way. Good luck finding more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely know members of my family are in my tribe and a few friends I've passed by I've thought "wow. There you are. You wandered so far from the herd!" It's a great feeling, isn't it? Like recognizing something instinctively. It also reminds you that any doubts you feel about "not fitting in" are pointless. You DO fit in... to your own particular tribe. Awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you have a wonderful family. I'm always on the lookout for more tribe members. The more, the merrier. And I have to say, your drawings are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Caitlin! I know exactly what you mean about recognizing members of your tribe when you first meet. When I met my friend Celly at grad school she was still improving her english, and I didn't know a bit of Indonesian. We bonded over pop culture and candy. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much, Lori! Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post. I've gone through so many phases of writing that my 'tribe' always shifts a bit, but you've given some great info that might make me pinpoint my regulars... Those faithful, true-blue ones. And thanks for visiting my blog, and leaving a great comment. Maybe all writers don't want to pen a writing book... Maybe my sarcasm was showing. Then again, all writers love to share... Thus, a writing book. ;) come back to visit me some day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annalisa CrawfordMarch 7, 2015 at 6:03 AM

    I love the term 'tribe'. I seem to have random out-shoots rather than a group of people. But I'll keep searching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I am lucky to have some tribe members from all over--but I think you can never have too many!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not sure if I'd say I've found my tribe, writing-wise, though I think (I hope!) once I get something published and get my work out there, they'll find me. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...