Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Stay Tuned for Worthwhile Interruptions

I think I'm the most relaxed person, until there's a deadline I'm not meeting or a goal I haven't reached. Then I struggle, stress, and beat myself up. But why? Most of the time, the deadlines are self-imposed, the goals are flexible, and life is full of worthwhile interruptions. Since when did I get caught up in the Culture of Mass Production our society is so consumed by?

courtesy morguefile.com
Productivity is a powerful buzz-word. Am I being productive today? Am I producing enough of whatever I make so I can be valuable? But I'm not what I produce. Producing things - car parts, blog posts, art, children - isn't the reason for my existence.These things just make life more satisfying. And if they don't, I shouldn't be producing them. (I haven't produced any children, by the way, but I stand by my opinion.)

People spend so much time working to finish, to start, to gain, to lose, that they're never content with what they already have. This is why I'm trying to let go of the Mass Production Culture and just create, play, do, and be. It's what I do naturally, after all. This doesn't mean I'm going to be unfocused and lazy. It does mean I'm going to pay more attention to what I'm focusing on and learn to relax.

Not everything can be planned. Not every plan can be adherred to. What is life but a series of worthwhile interruptions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...